Saturday, September 22, 2007

DVD Infringement

Wasn't feeling all that well tonight so I decided to make it a stay at home movie night. Which pirated DVD did I select? Wall Street. I haven't seen that movie in ages. The opening scene is full of images of the Twin Towers. They were symbols of New York, and to Oliver Stone, symbols of the greed associated with New York.

Unfortunately I didn't make it past the opening scene because my $1.00 DVD was dubbed in Chinese. This is the price you pay in China for not springing for the $1.20 A-rated version.

It is amazing how little pitty people feel for Hollywood. Even my colleague, an IP attorney who shuns all forms of infringement, doesn't cry too loudly for the Hollywood gang. He won't buy the DVDs or watch them to his credit, but his sympathies are reserved for more deserving victims. People at all levels of business in China buy them and watch them. The GM folks, Caterpiller, you name it.

No comments: