Monday, September 10, 2007

The Chinese Airline Passenger

Flew home this morning on Shanghai Airlines, a step up from China Eastern. The seats have a little more room and the planes aren't as dirty.

The Chinese airlines still provide "snacks" which gives passengers like me something to complain about. Usually the snack is the box of assorted dry breads. Today was more of the same. Opening the box is fun - I am always surprised and pleased when the box contains something I'm willing to eat. There was a round roll - dry and slightly sweet - and nothing in the box to put on the roll. This wasn't just any roll though. I broke it open and it had meat paste surprise inside. Glad I didn't use my teeth on that one.

The box usually contains cough drops. The Chinese eat the Hall Menthal drops like candy and they are regularly served at restaurants and on planes. This is a mystery to me because I can't get one in my mouth if I'm close to death.

Once the airplane hits the ground, half of the Chinese passengers get up to get their things from the overhead. The pilots haven't even brought the plane to a reasonable speed and some guy is standing on his chair trying to get his laptop so he can be first off the plane. Once the plane arrives at the gate, three or four people from the back of the plane run down the aisle so they can beat the other passengers to baggage claim. Given that we're going to have to sit around for 15 minutes until the bags arrive, this seems pointless.

Most expats find this curious. I'm told that things are much better. Several years back, people would get out of their chairs to claim their overhead belongings before the wheels hit the ground.

No comments: