Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sucker

One of the negatives of Shanghai is the abundance of stray kittens. I'm not a cat person. They scratch everything, urinate on things and miao. I'd rather have a dog lifting its leg on the side of my bed.

God has a sense of humor. This is my second kitten. The first one was running up and down Beijing Lu during rush hour. It took me three or four days to find a home for it.

I discovered this one on my way home from work tonight inside my highrise complex screaming. Too young to be without its mother, of course. It is dirty and loud. So of course I take a couple of the security guards with me (always spread the fun; it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside) trapsing through the bushes chasing this thing. They think I'm an idiot. I tend to agree.

Thankfully it likes cheese.

I'm smart enough to know it is going to take a while to get rid of it, so I immediately started calling the people in my office. How much of a raise do you want this year? So far, no takers. They must be over paid. Perhaps my new colleague from the US would like a kitten. I recall he said something about having a cat at one point in his life and he has kids. I'll have to call his wife first in case he didn't like the last cat. Most of the time if you separate the couple and corner the wife your odds improve dramatically.

No comments: