Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sarkozy The American

French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke highly of France-U.S. friendship here on Wednesday, stressing "We love America."
Since when?

Addressing U.S. Congress, Sarkozy said "Since the United States first appeared on the world scene, our two peoples, the French and the American people have always been friends."
I would say that is a gross exageration. We are not friends. We tolerate the French because the Eifle Tower is cool and they have some good cheese. But as a group, they are a skanky lot.

He said "We may have differences, we may disagree on things, we may even have arguments, as in many families. But in times of difficulty, in times of hardship, one stands true to one's friends, one stands shoulder to shoulder with them, one supports them, and one helps them.
What is the saying? "The French, they're there when they need you." Or Patton's comment that: "I'd rather have a German unit in front of me than a French one behind me."

I can't recall the last time they actually supported us. Was it the Revolutionary War? And I give them no credit for that sappy headline on Sept. 12, 2001, because they followed it up with a bunch of low blows characteristic of French "unity".

I'm moderately excited about Sarkozy, but the frogs have already labled him "Sarkozy, the American" which I do not believe is intended as a compliment.

No comments: