Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Overseas Ballot

Today I received my overseas primary ballot. Tough call. Huckabee was easy. I can't stand him. Romney doesn't excite me and I don't find him credible. Guilliani? He cleaned up New York. He's hard on terrorists. But I have trouble getting beyond his personal life. If I had wanted me to be president, I would have run. I want someone whose personal life is not a disaster to step into the White House.

That leaves McCain and Thompson. We hear almost nothing about Thompson over here so there is very little to base judgment on. What is written says he is conservative across the board, which McCain isn't. But McCain is clear on about everything. Like him or not, take it or leave it. And most importantly, he is clear on foreign policy. Two things top my list: Iraq and taxes.

McCain can beat Obama and Clinton. I'm not sure Thompson could beat either one, but particularly Clinton. Whether McCain will beat them is anybody's guess, but it is possible.

So I somewhat reluctantly voted for McCain.

No comments: